[RSS]

Search the webSearch Hamilton Views
HamiltonViews
March 29, 2024, 01:13:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Where are we going...?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are we going...?  (Read 394 times)
editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:38:26 pm »

Where are we going...?  Angry

When we seriously take a look at all the major projects that Hamilton has promenaded in the last decade;
Red Hill project, Lister Block, HECFI, Airport Project, City Hall building, is that they have created more
Descent and negative perception of this City. Repeatedly demonstrating this city's inability to negotiate firm
Costs for such projects. Moreover it fails to consider all the environment impacts, including limiting cost
Overruns. These two issues have left the tax payer holding the bag for millions of dollars beyond said project
Costs.

Over the last week I had the opportunity to carouse with some community leaders at large. Their impression
Of Hamilton's City hall, a joke, a comedy of errors. Someone suggested that it would be a great model for
The Canadian air farce in particular when the last stage setting, "The building of Hamilton's City Hall"
Now consider Major spending premised on growth projections to spend $1.6 billion ..though such spending is
Planned to take place over the next decade, but over half is scheduled for the next two years – $191 million in
2008, and $657 million in 2009. If one considers the history of financial accountability the final expenditure by
The end of the decade will be more in line with $2.3 billion. Such calculations are based on the fact that the world
Is changing, prices of raw materials will more than triple that of today's prices. The expected growth rate will never
Sustain expectations. But most importantly is the failure of this city to consider how the world conditions will impact,
In particular transportation, business sustainability in the area, including the general cost of living, basic shelter,
Hydro, heat, and food...these costs could easily triple. The fundamental facts begs the question, Where are the
Jobs sustainability? How many more tax dollars can you squeeze?  Huh

Some have said, Hamilton's failure has always been trying to be something it's not, rather the focusing on it's own
Uniqueness.

Comments welcome!

ham_editor@yahoo.ca

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:48:33 pm »

Additionally

Considering the predicted economic slump including the unpredictability with oil prices a reality that will dramatically impact on every
Personal, institutional and business it seems to me that at times such as this, when the uncertainties out weight the possibility of balance
It may be better to hold and maintain a steady hand rather than flaunting the hand of fate knowing this economic storm may contain
Many surprises that will only add to the already overburdened tax payer...
Perhaps the focus should be directed to deminishing the 20% poverty rate to 5%  and providing the 30% of those who leave this city
Daily with employment within the area, or at least reduce the 30% to 10%. ...

We can expand the Airport, spend millions on potential expansion with the hopes of one day collecting. There is no doubt that sewers
And water, including the wastewater plant but in the final analysis if millions in aid from the Feds or Prov. this city will become the most
Expensive and downtrodden City to live in...Without a broader employment base and unless this city expends it's energy  in attracting
New and vibrant employment there is no hope... Only desperation......

Comments welcome!

ham_editor@yahoo.ca

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Changing LINKS

View Stats

Affiliates
Search Engine Submission and Optimization Free META Tag Help Analyzer