[RSS]

Search the webSearch Hamilton Views
HamiltonViews
March 28, 2024, 12:50:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

RevWear-Environment Sustainable

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RevWear-Environment Sustainable  (Read 793 times)
editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:33:36 am »

Michelle Bitran

Revolution Wear
Creating Change and Reusing Everything
By: Michelle Bitran

Revolutionary change isn’t easy to come by, but the local art scene in Hamilton is determined to make it happen, starting on the runway. RevWear, or Revolution Wear, is a student run initiative at McMaster University that annually brings together various artists from the Hamilton area to lend their talents in an effort to promote environmental sustainability and social awareness.

Though it began as the hobby of three young women, including former Mac student Sapphire Singh who later launched the RevWear Fashion Show, RevWear has quickly become an outlet for artists and activists who recognize the practical and revolutionary possibilities in making new clothing from recycled materials.

RevWear’s goal is to cut down on wastefulness and to promote social consciousness in the Hamilton community. The materials used to create the featured clothing include everything from old clothes, to plastic bags, and even various edible items. Also, the models are supplying their own make up for the Hamilton show in order to cut down on consumerism and to avoid excessive waste. And, for the Toronto show, RevWear will be pairing with make up artists and hair stylists from Aveda Salon, who are known for their commitment to preserving the environment.

As they gear up to launch the February 2008 show, this year’s RevWear organizers are working hard not only to put together a diverse range of socially and politically charged clothing designs, but also to integrate a variety of local performers and artists. The audience will be entertained by drum circles, spoken word artists, dance packs, and live music, all of which will be interspersed between themed collections of environmentally friendly and unique clothes.

The list of Hamilton talent performing at the show includes Tarek Ajak, Anthony Mayo, Samir Grover, and the Mac Dance Group. As well, at the after party following the Hamilton night show, audience members will have the chance to chat with the RevWear performers and organizers while sampling organic vegan treats and browsing through the work of local artists.

With about 20 designers displaying their work, this is RevWear’s biggest ever show. “I think we’ll get a huge turnout,” said Sonia Jind, director of the 2008 show and a fifth year Honours Psychology student at Mac. Jind has been working with RevWear since its inception in 2004.

Though she admits to having initially been drawn to the project more for the fashion aspect than anything else, Jind has since changed her tune. “I’ve met some of the most amazing people who’ve really changed me, being a part of RevWear has changed the way I think…The environmental aspect of the fashion show is most important to me now,” she said.

The recent popularity of eco-friendly fashion is helping RevWear take greater strides towards success. The fashion show which begun as a relatively low profile daytime event in McMaster University’s Student Centre, is traveling to reach Toronto audiences for the first time this year. “Toronto is only the first step. My goal is to eventually have every school having their own RevWear,” says Jind. Though a seemingly ambitious goal, with two years of sold-out shows under its belt, it will likely be only a matter of time before RevWear spreads to other schools and cities across Ontario.

It is refreshing to see local youth so socially aware and focused on effecting change in the community through the innovative and far-reaching approach of fashion. Even those primarily interested in the aesthetic appeal of the RevWear project will have the chance to open their minds to new and interesting ideas while contributing to the RevWear cause.

This year, RevWear organizers have decided to use all proceeds from the show in order to build sustainable relationships within the Hamilton community though the spread of creativity and skill-sharing. They will be providing a series of workshops by local professional artists as a way to provide a creative learning experience for community members who otherwise would not have had the means to access this kind of opportunity. RevWear is committed to strengthening the Hamilton community through action-oriented charity and to spreading the message of change and possibility.

The three show times for the RevWear fashion show are Thursday, Feb. 7th from 11:00 am-1:00pm at the McMaster University Student Centre (1280 Main St. West, Hamilton), Saturday, Feb. 9th from 8:00-10:00pm at The Pearl Company (16 Steven St., Hamilton), and Saturday, March 1st from 8:00-10:00pm at University of Toronto’s Innis Theatre (2 Sussex Ave., Toronto). There is a suggested $10 donation at the door.
[/b]

For further information

Comments Welcome!

ham_editor@yahoo.ca

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:32:26 pm by editor » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Changing LINKS

View Stats

Affiliates