[RSS]

Search the webSearch Hamilton Views
HamiltonViews
April 20, 2024, 05:00:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Millions invested revenue only $50,000

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Millions invested revenue only $50,000  (Read 228 times)
editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:55:48 am »

Airport revenue only $50,000
January 13, 2006 (Catch site:)

The cart before the horse, no wonder our taxes are out of control. Like HECFI, the airport another sink whole
demonstrating that the city has no idea of how to set limits. Investing tax dollars in areas that is outside it’s mandate.
“The first annual payment from the airport is due in 2006, but won't make a big dent in the city's $45 million budget
deficit.” with a $50,000 dollar expected return, when it should have been around the $500,000 mark. Moreover,
“between 2005 and 2009, the city expects to spend $18.6 million for airport land acquisitions. The budget also
proposes spending $750,000 over the next two years  City officials have not calculated how much it will cost to
service the airport lands with roads, water, sewers and other infrastructure to make it 'shovel-ready' for the hoped
for industrial development. Opponents of the aerotropolis plans suggest the price tag will be at least $100 million.”

By Wey Robinson, Hamilton
The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 1, 2006)

"It would have taken only 7 per cent
of Ontario's $3-billion surplus for
Premier Dalton McGuinty to keep
his promise to poor families"

There is no doubt that the province could contribute a greater percentage of tax revenue to the poor
in this city. If the cards were laid on the table, the issue of poverty has never been a priority of this
city, for years it has paid lip service to this issue. We just have to look at all the fund drives held over
the years, moneys spent on HECFI, funds designated to bring Cycling competition to the city and further
funds expended for Olympic bids, including expenditure attempts to secure a Hockey team. If 7% of these
costs were directed to help the poor in the city, perhaps we would not have the highest poverty rate in
the province.

Don't you think it's about time we get some priorities straight?

From the office of the Mayor I received the following, "taxes were only slightly above the provincial average,"
Hamilton being at $1,069, while the the provincial average was $1,003. In addition that "last year our tax waste
was the third lowest among Ontario’s larger municipalities....
indicating a strong sign Hamilton is doing the right thing to get it’s financial house in order.
This information on it own does suggest a shimmer of hope, on the other hand the 2006 tax out look states that,

•Hamilton has the highest poverty rate in Ontario.
•City’s median household income is 10% lower than the provincial average.
•Highest ratio of property taxes as a percentage of household income (5.7%).

While suggesting that all the difficulties are all related to "provincial down loading." I am not suggesting,
that down loading did not have it’s effect, at the same time down loading, equally effected every municipality
in the province. Or, are you suggesting that Hamilton was infiltrated by the poor? Yet the median household in
Hamilton is 10% lower than the provincial average, and that, Hamilton has the highest ratio of property tax.
Now the City debating on another tax grab, cat licenses...The city has to debate what it should do with HECFI,
as it approves a requested $2.6m. I think the city need to take a long honest look at getting out of areas that
it has proven that it can't manage, ski slopes, golf courses and the entertainment business. I think it’s time for
the people of Hamilton to take a stand and demand accountability. The reality is, if the future of Hamilton has
any potential, a grass root approach is needed. The blaming game must end and responsible decisions for
our tax dollars must begin. Perhaps, if through out the years tax dollars were managed for the benefit of all city
members, we could handle down turns a little better?

...Hamilton is a dump....
By Evelyn Myrie
The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 3, 2006)

Wow, Evelyn Myrie did you just step out of a hibernation closet. The downtown has been in the center of a desert
storm for thirty years or more. The idea that, "There is also a need to encourage stricter enforcement of property
standards bylaws, forcing owners to bring their properties up to at least a minimum benchmark."
If you think rants
and raves are going to be transformed into changes, grow up and smell the coffee. This year the city had an opportunity
to contribute but is sunk 2.6 million into, "HECFI".

I find it distasteful when the city boasts of it’s intentions and fails to demonstrate a leadership role. While other cry.
"about absentee property owners who are not interested in spending money on improvements to their building facades"
When in fact, most can barley make enough to pay their taxes. The only strategy that seem to be propelled is the idea of forcing
people to live downtown....in the midst of thirty years of decay; including another thirty years of constant sounds of rebuilding.

"The city downtown renewal initiative. But for this to be successful, full participation is required from landlords in the core."
The City can tweak out renewal incentives but without compelling concrete indications of a realistic vision of employment and
 permanent establishment of enterprises in the downtown, other that short term construction opportunities, to support long
term growth or our dollars will be flushed down the drain while our taxes skyrocket to maintain this new facade.

"We are excited about the $117 million in investments for downtown" like change dropping into an empty bucket, it’s a start,
but lets face the facts, this City needs billions of dollars to rectify this decay....show me the sustainability of this expenditure...
give me a blue print of new businesses, enterprises, or of new corporations seeking to relocate and or expand to this City?

Is there somethng wrong here,
What do you think....?

Send Comments to:

ham_editor@yahoo.ca
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Changing LINKS

View Stats

Affiliates