[RSS]

Search the webSearch Hamilton Views
HamiltonViews
March 29, 2024, 06:46:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hamilton Sign Bylaw

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamilton Sign Bylaw  (Read 343 times)
editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:52:49 pm »

Hamilton Sign Bylaw

“Rural areas not exempt from sign bylaw
Kevin Werner, Special to the Review
Aug 11, 2006”
http://www.haltonsearch.com/hr/fp/story/3629400p-4195753c.html

“The cost is expected to be covered by higher permit fees.” Just another unwelcome
to doing business in Hamilton, Ontario. Rural areas that are already overburdened
with the agriculture base at a low ebb, while the price of fresh strawberries, corn
and other fresh produce will suffer as, foreign markets reap the gain.

Consider that the City is unable to attract a business base of sustainability, though,
having the audacity to impost further costs to the present business. Furthermore,
this will result in, “hiring of two additional bylaw officers at a cost of about  $150,000.
Just another tax grab, some small rural business have suggested that they will have to
consider hiring one or two less summer students....

Progress in the making...

What do you think...?

Send Comments to:
ham_editor@yahoo.ca
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:11:32 pm »

By: Diane Elms

The first issue I bring to your attention affects countless small business operators in Hamilton:  SIGNAGE
(Sign Study and By-Law - Final Report, City Council meeting Thursday, June 22, 2006)

Why is this issue so important?
     Because studies show how integral the right signage can be to a successful business.  49% of customers surveyed by the Sign Foundation
of Canada said the sign is what brought them into a business. That is a very impressive statistic.  It shows we need to help our existing and
potential new business owners succeed or we will lose valuable revenue.  The bottom line is, if the city loses this type of revenue, property
taxes will continue to increase to cover the loss.
If we don’t solve this issue, we will hurt existing business, lose opportunities or detour any
new business, and also hurt those businesses who supply the signs, our local sign industry.

My Concern:
     Proposed sign rules will transform the look of the city, but what message is it relaying to the businesses in our city?  We need a balance
between business and their needs, and maintaining a pleasing looking city.

Background:
     I had the privilege of sitting in on the Thursday, June 22, 2006 meeting, on the subject of the Sign Study and By-Law - Final Report.   
I listened to citizens, business owners, representatives from the mobile sign association, representatives from land developers, members of
council and city of Hamilton employees.  I have also obtained pertinent paperwork on this issue, including a copy of the 39+ page appendix
report, and a copy of the counter-proposal from the Hamilton-Wentworth Mobile Sign Association.  I’ve also reviewed media coverage from
the same meeting.

This is what I heard as I sat in on Council’s meeting: 

*   The city is lacking on its responsibility to enforce existing by-laws when it comes to the issue of signage complaints and permits.
 I heard a citizen from Ancaster state that she used to be able to call in to report an infraction and they would be dealt with.  That’s not the
case now.  The city may try to argue that the by-laws were pre-amalgamation.  However that should have been taken into consideration as
each community has its own set of standards.       

*    Also, one speaker from the sign industry admitted that her company had not applied for a sign permit for two years, and the signs went
unnoticed the whole time. The city has not been doing its job in keeping up with monitoring the signs.

*   The rules appear to favour the new home development business over other city businesses.  Most businesses are allowed to have a mobile
sign 3 times a year for a total of a 30 day period.  But here are the rules for new home development: Portable signs, Bullet 6 Maximum 3 signs
permitted on each corner of an intersection, 1 per builder. Bullet 7 Maximum 10 signs for each development. Bullet 11 Period of display is no earlier
than 5:00p.m. on a Friday to no later than 7:00 a.m. the immediately following Monday. Ground Signs, Bullet 3 Maximum 2 new home development
ground signs per subdivision and up to 2 signs outside the subdivision on private property with the approval of the owner of the property.  Bullet 4
Maximum of one model home sign per model home with in the subdivision.  What is being said here?  It is obvious that new home development
is more important than business in this city. Are we becoming a residential city?  If so, be prepared for property taxes to pay the way
every year.  That means an increase in every year to cover the increase in the city budget.

Here’s what I say:
     I agree we need to get control of the out of control cluster of signs in our city.  Two very simple ways to begin are, one: No favouritism in the rules
towards one business sector over another. What is good for new home development should be good for every other business in our city. And vice versa,
what is good for every other business in our city should be also good for new home development. 
     Two:  Enforce the by-laws that are in place.  They worked before, and they should be able to work now. And contrary to what has been brought to
light at this council meeting, it should not be difficult for a By-Law Officer to be aware of all the different sign by-laws. They don’t even have to be memorized,
but at the very least a list of the existing by-laws should be readily available for reference.

It’s time to treat everyone in the City of Hamilton with equal importance.

Diane4Mayor@sympatico.ca

What do you think...?

Comments appreciated
ham_editor@yahoo.ca

July 26, 2006
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 07:33:39 pm by editor » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Changing LINKS

View Stats

Affiliates