[RSS]

Search the webSearch Hamilton Views
HamiltonViews
April 20, 2024, 07:47:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Sustainability or Mirage

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sustainability or Mirage  (Read 210 times)
editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2006, 08:47:56 am »

Sustainability or Mirage
How about a little reality?

In view of Richard Gilbert report and the fact that the Airport issue is on a slow burn, I think Hamilton needs to
redirect it's focus. I am not suggestion to abandon the airport but I think the idea is five to ten years away. Secondly,
much of the success of this project is based on the Mid Peninsula Hwy. I agree that if this project is solely based on
the relationship of air transportation that it suffers greatly with regard to future costs of transportation. The
Mid Peninsula Hwy. would improve this somewhat. There is little doubt that the Airport area development requires
much more in-depth analysis as to it's use. Though the two upper levels of government are having discourses on the
Mid Peninsula Hwy. it will still take years to complete.

Though I believe that Hamilton is at the door way of opportunity for the creation of electricity as noted in Gilbert's
report. Though the Mayor appears more concerned with image, nevertheless if this issue was properly marketed and
was founded on the best technology available, Hamilton could rise from the ashes. Properly sold this idea could find
funding from the federal and provincial governments including surrounding cities, in particular Toronto.

The idea of converting garbage into electricity is a gold mine, one just has to have sufficient imagination to step
beyond the raw product. The returns for the future are endless. There is much information on the internet with
regards to this issue, but here is a page for your information. An idea BC. put into practice, by the way no one
is having an image problem.

If Hamilton does not get this straight it will be a dam shame-
Follow the link to BC’s project
http://www.sustainability.ca/index.cfm?body=SourceView.cfm&ID=512>

"We need to raise the bar in regards to development"

That maybe the ideal at the same time one need to balance development with sustainability. Consider the fact that the
creation of electricity through solid waste would produce sufficient electricity to supply electric rail transportation system
through the GTA from Hamilton to Toronto, including through to Brantford, if planned properly directly to the Hamilton
airport. This also could include the transportation of goods and services . Secondly, provide electrical busses for the city.
I think we are tied to tightly to the poor management that was wrought by the steel industry, technology, education
and economic changes bare out the facts to if the steel industry was established today in Hamilton it would have a
different face including the manner in which oil byproducts are handled.

“Selling the electricity to BC Hydro will generate gross revenues of $5-6 million a year for the GVRD, an economic benefit
for the region's residents. Considering, the volume of raw material available in this area the gross revenues of such a venture
could exceed $20 million a year and up wards.

"Raising the bar" is to ensure we maintain the highest environment standards ,  Nevertheless, we are in an era that energy
will be the determining factor to growth and productivity. Perhaps reflecting on incinerators that were built thirty years ago,
I would agree with the environment concerns. Though to dismiss this potential considering the high increase of fuel expectancy
and the desire to bring this City into realizing it's full potential and beyond serious consideration into alternative modes of moving
people and goods through the GTA must be developed.

Personally, Hamilton's image has not been tainted so much by the industries that have laid the foundation for the city but by
mismanagement. Including a long history that involved a subculture that was self serving and placed no value on city need.
Much of this has dissipated but we should not allow the past to determine our future, we should learn from it, setting higher
standards but that does not mean throwing out the baby with the wash.

There will be no other form of energy than electricity that will propel society for years to come that will be sustainable and viable
including as environmentally friendly, considering the reality of our ever increasing need to dispose of our by products, that can be
recycled into next generation of sustainable renewed energy. 

Sooner or later this will become the door way to sustainable power....
Gold mine of the future....
some will be saying....
why didn't we......

What do you think...?

Send Comments to:
ham_editor@yahoo.ca
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:47:31 pm by editor » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Changing LINKS