[RSS]

Search the webSearch Hamilton Views
HamiltonViews
April 19, 2024, 02:35:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Commonwealth Games bid

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commonwealth Games bid  (Read 184 times)
editor
Administrator

The Older I get The less I know for sure

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:04:58 am »

City of Hamilton’s discussion
Commonwealth Games bid
April 18, 2006

http://www.hamiltoncatch.org/planning/plan_060418.htm

Looking for something positive, even with City discussions, is an ardent task. After reading and re-reading
the April 18, 2006 discourse on, 2014 Commonwealth Games, there lays the subtile reminder of high school
children debating that the teachers were unfair, they did not tell us that this or that was on the test. Perhaps,
more deep rooted in this discussion is the paramount reaction of families who for generations have lived on
welfare. The thrust of the debate centering on how to beat the system, with the resounding note from tinker bell
on the high note of integrity but in agreement that the process was not fair.

The real issue is embedded in, "Whitehead" "....I think the Canadian … has sort of caught up to the fact that
we should be using these games to leverage opportunities for communities in need. "With regards to the
Commonwealth Games there is a deep seated design to elevate communities that have been disadvantaged
through circumstances beyond their control,  a city that has and demonstrates it’s ability to manage within
some perceived economic and social standard.

Hamilton with it’s industrial base and financial resources is in it's present condition because of many years of
mismanagement. There is no earthly way that anyone could wander through the history of Hamilton and not
be remiss to this fact. Historically, the Commonwealth Games comity have expressed the desire to have a long
term impact but are cautious with how this impact will be managed for future benefits or lost due to historical
inability to manage such. In my mind I have not seen many major initiative that this city has undertaken in the
last decade that has contributed to the revitalization of the downtown. In the past years the focus and major
initiative has been the Airport. Where millions are being spent, though the reality that plagues this initiative is
the fact that the Airport is not accessible, buried deeply into the background without the simplest and basic
infrastructure such as highways. The only hope that this plan had was the Midpeninsula highway to which the
city failed to assure from the province that the was to be an eventuality prior to investing millions on the Airport.
The fact that, another airport north of Toronto was endorsed by the province and at the same time the provincial
initiative of the Green Space has sealed this process for decades to which you stood by in blind indifference, until
it was too late.

Perhaps, it’s time to grow up and smell the roses or maybe make sure there is enough horse power to carry the chariot
of dreams before sifting our tax dollars into ventures that leave the downtown in humble rubble. While you ponder why
there are so many in this City who oppose the, "pursuit of the National Hockey League franchise"
"World Junior Hockey bid" "Commonwealth Games." The cart always seems to be placed before the horse.

What do you think....?

Send Comments to:
ham_editor@yahoo.ca
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 07:43:32 pm by editor » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Changing LINKS

View Stats

Affiliates
Search Engine Submission and Optimization Free META Tag Help Analyzer